Home About Me Polish Wishlist Contact

Saturday 8 December 2012

Yin Yang Nail Art with Step-by-Step Tutorial!

Hello everyone,

Today I have tutorial for you. I'm going to show you some really simple "Yin-Yang" nails. These were inspired by the nails that Katy Perry had done for the September 2012 issue of US Elle magazine.
This was the image used on the cover - you can just about see the design on her nails!


Here are my own nails finished
Okay so onto the tutorial:



You will need:
- (Optional) base coat
- White nail polish (I used OPI Alpine Snow)
- Black nail polish (I used Jack Wills Black)
- Black and white nail art pens or some sort of dotting tool
- (Optional) top coat

STEP 1) Paint your base coat and ensure it's fully dry. Then you need to do 2-3 coats of your white nail polish. The reason I say do the white first is because it's much easier to do black on the white rather than trying to cover up black with white on top (if you get what I mean!).

STEP 2) This bit is quite fiddly, but just take your time and you should be fine. Make the line for the black half of the nail by doing a free-hand "wave". I used a striper brush to do this but if you're feeling brave you could just use the regular brush in your polish. Fill in from the line right to the edge of your nail so that one half of your nail is covered in black. Do as many coats as you need to for the white polish to become invisible underneath.

STEP 3) Use whatever you're using as your dotting tool to place a small white dot on the black side of your nail and a small black dot on the white side. Obviously make sure they're at opposite ends of the nail like my photo shows or it wouldn't be the correct pattern for yin yang!!

STEP 4) All done! If you are choosing to use a top coat on your nails, then do this now. Just make sure your nails are absolutely dry and "hover" the brush over the nail rather than dragging it to ensure your don't smudge your design.

Hope this helped some of you :)

4 comments:

  1. cool nails!

    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm currently working on *trying* to grow my nails out and this is my motivation! I love Katy Perry as well, so you pretty much had me sold from the get go, but you're so talented!

    katiechamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's such a kind thing to say.
      Good luck in growing your nails out!

      Delete